First of all, there’s no need for Tumblr Codes in order to activate Tumblr Fan Mail, it’s been activated by default and you can access this feature by simply clicking on a big button in your Inbox. And no, you don’t need to download anything to make it work either, chek the FAQs below to know exactly how does tumblr fan mail work .
Is actually less restricting than Twitter, since in order to use private messages there, you should have the other user follow you as well, and the same goes to Facebook. Here you are the only one required to follow to send these special “letters”
What Is Exactly Tumblr Fan Mail?
Yes, you guessed it right. Tumblr Fan Mail is a messaging service, but not exactly like the questions you used to received, that got published when you answered them. These messages remain private, for that is their nature. This feature has been solicited by fans hundreds of times.
Tumblr Fan Mail FAQs
- You can activate/turn on Tumblr Fan Mail by just following the tumblr blog you want to send the message to, after that, you will see the small tumblr fan mail icon right next to the follow and like icons (and can also be found as an option in the avatar drop down menu in your dashboard stream)
- It works the same way for other people following you, again, there’s no setting that needs to be checked.
- All your blogs, main and secondary can receive tumblr fan mail, and all of them receive the fan mail in the same INBOX.
- How long you need to wait before sending Tumblr Fan Mail?, it’s instant, you follow, then send.
How To Reply to a Tumblr Fan Mail
- Once you find a Tumblr Fan Mail in your inbox, just click on the reply icon (arrow). Check the screenshot below.
How To Block People from Sending Fan Mail
- In order to disable Tumblr Fan Mail, you will need to block the user you don’t want to receive messages from, this can be done directly from the Fan Mail option on the bottom of the letter, or by heading to www.tumblr.com/block and entering the username.
How To Get a Tumblr Fan Mail Button on your Tumblr Blog?
- If you want to insert or add a tumblr fan mail button to your tumblr blog, whether it is in your sidebar, header or any other spot, you first need to include an image (you can use the one in the example, it’s a letter icon), and then wrapping that image with the following URL, and just change USERNAME with yours (Remember that your visitors first have to follow you in order to send you fan mail)
<a href="http://www.tumblr.com/send/USERNAME"><img src="http://static.tumblr.com/p2evvtm/HDnlzynk4/tumblr-fan-mail-icon.png"/></a>
How To Send Tumblr Fan Mail?
- First of all, before being able to write one, make sure you are following the user you want to send the Fan Mail to.
- Go to your Inbox
- Once There, Click on Send Fan Mail
- Write the “letter”, not without finding out exactly what the username is
- There’s an alternative method to pull up the Tumblr Fan Mail Directly, go to the user tumblog, and right next to the follow, reblog and dashboard buttons, you will find a small letter ICON, click on it.
- There’s a second alternative method, you can click on the i that shows up when you place your cursor on top of an user avatar you are following, a dropdown menu with the option to send Fan Mail is revealed.
Tumblr Fan Mail Features
- Customizable Templates [you can choose up to two backgrounds and three type of fonts]
- You can only send it to Tumblrs you follow
- There’s no limit in the amount of Tumblr Fan Mail you can send
- You cannot insert animated GIFs in Tumblr Fan Mail
- You can only send text, no images at all actually
- To prevent receiving Fan Mails, you can block the user who sends those annoying pimped letters