If you’ve made of your tumblr theme a major mess and think you need to start from scratch reinstalling the original layout, we have good news for you.
Tumblr has a feature that allows you to recover an old version of your theme back, actually, the last 20 versions are stored.
Bear in mind that you will just restore the layout, not the content itself.
Restoring and Getting Your Old Tumblr Theme Back
- Once you are signed in to Tumblr, Go to the following url
- Choose the tumblr blog you want to recover the old layout version from and click on View Backups.
- The last 20 theme versions will be avaiable to be restored, each one having a log with all changes made, unfortunately, there’s no “preview” available for these backups, something that could avoid restoring versions back multiple times until you find the right one.
- Just click on restore and confirm
How To Backup Your Current Tumblr Theme
- Go to the Tumblr Blog of your choosing then >> Customize Theme.
- Click on Edit HTML and select & copy all the code displayed.
- Paste your code in a notepad and save it to a convenient location in your computer.
- You might also want to copy and save in a different .txt file the description box, which often contains valuable custom code for your sidebar.