This tutorial is all about fixing Pictures (jpg or PNG), Animated GIFs and Photos that get the “Error Uploading Photo” message on tumblr. The GIF files are the harder ones to fix while keeping them as close to the original version as possible.
Make sure that:
- Your GIF is below 1MB in size in order not to lose the animation
- Your GIF is not wider than 500px in order not to lose the animation
- Your GIF is not bigger than 750px in height in order not to lose the animation
- If you still want to keep uploading the original file which does not meet the requirements above, simply host the image somewhere else.
It’s All About the Animated GIF Colors
Indeed, if you are still getting the error, it’s highly likely that the color saturation in your in GIF is simply too high or has the wrong format. Below are all the possible fixes to the error message, make sure you have a good Graphics Editor before you start:
- Change the GIF Mode: Change your image mode from CMYK to RGB (usually found on the “image” tab). Save and try to reupload it. Notice the gif won’t look exactly like it did before, the colors will sure be darker and lose brightness
- Color Saturation: In your graphics editor, go to “Layers” >> “New Fill Layer” >> “Solid Color”. Now, there are basically two color codes that work, one of them is the light pink (#FFD7F1), which is used when your GIF uses too much cyan, and the other one is light blue (#C1EDFF) which can be used when your animation has too much magenta. Add the corresponding solid layer and see if that works.
- Desaturate the GIF: Go to adjustments, and create a new adjustment layer for vibrance/saturation, just modify the indicators until you feel is enough and while your GIF file still looks nice. Go little by litte, don’t reduce the saturation all at once.