If you changed your mind and decided to change your Tumblr URL (a.k.a Tumblr Name or subdomain) you can easily do it without losing a single one of your followers.
Bear in mind that a good tumblr name caughts the attention of new followers and could be the difference between getting reblogged or not.
In the second part of this tutorial, we tell you how to keep your old url and redirect your visitors to your new url when they visit your blog directly just in case they don’t the dashboard that much.
How To Modify Your Tumblr URL and Name
- From your Dashboard, Go to the blog’s own dashboard you want to modify (click on its title on the top menu or in the drop down menu right next to the inbox icon)
- Click on “Blog Settings” on the right sidebar.
- Find the URL option and change your tumblr url name.
- Scroll down to the bottom and click on SAVE.
No Followers Will Be Lost
Will You lose your followers if you change your Tumblr Name?. Not at all, they will still be following you and getting your post through the dashboard. However, if they directly visit your old url, they will certainly not find your blog unless you redirect the old url to the new one, read below for more information.
Redirecting Your Old Tumblr URL To Your New One
- Immediately after you modify your tumblr name, go and create a new secondary tumblr blog and use your old ulr as the name for it.
- Once created, you have two options, either do an auto redirect that takes your followers straight to your new url or place an “Moved” theme that tells them where your blog is now located. We have tutorials for both.