I know that many Tumblr users really hate the idea of a music player set on autoplay, specially those that can’t be turned off. I’ve even seen groups created to unfollow these people. However, many of you keep asking how to do it so here is how to add background music playlists to Tumblr.
Since there are so many ways to put music on your tumblr, we’ll start out by creating an autoplay music widget with with hypster. You can also Read this tutorial to know how to download songs from Tumblr.
How to Put Music on Tumblr That Autoplays in the Background
- For the autoplay widget we are going to use Hypster.com
- You first need to register with them. go here and create an account.
- Once you are logged in, go here. After you entered the name, go back to your account and scroll down until you find the playlists section, there you need to set the one you are interested in to ACTIVE, then go to search and start adding songs to your playlist, this will always be your autoplay background music, and you need to come back to the site and edit the playlist if you want different songs to play.
- Now, go here to crete your autoplay music widget from hypster. Choose the playlist and check the enable autoplay option.
- The code below is the embed widget that autoplays on tumblr (make sure the volume is up so you can actually verify it’s working). NOTE: THE CODE IS ONLY MEANT TO SERVE AS AN EXAMPLE, IF YOU USE IT IN YOUR TUMBLR BLOG, IT WILL DISPLAY OUR PLAYLIST, REMEMBER TO GRAB YOUR OWN EMBEDDABLE HYPSTER CODE.
<img style="visibility:hidden;width:0px;height:0px;" border=0 width=0 height=0 src="http://c.gigcount.com/wildfire/IMP/CXNID=2000002.0NXC/bT*xJmx*PTEzMzE*MDg5MDEzMjYmcHQ9MTMzMTQwODk*NTg4MiZwPTIxMzc5MSZkPSZnPTEmbz1hNTg3ZTc3MGU3NmU*OGJlYjcz/YTg2ZGZiMTBmYjcyOQ==.gif" /><embed quality="high" style="width:370px;visibility:visible; height:300px;" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" height="300" width="370" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" border="0" src="http://www.hypster.com/flash/player.swf?id=1907883:1950215:0&autoplay=true" FlashVars="color_bg=0x9A0000&color_border=0x9A0000&color_box=0x9A0000&color_songbg=0xFF9700&color_song_clicked=0xFECB81&color_Title=0x000000&color_btns=0xD4D0C7&color_title=0x000000" /><br /><a href="http://www.hypster.com/?src=player-text" style="font-weight:bold;font-size:12px">Get Your Own Free Hypster.com Playlist.</a>
- The next step to have the background mp3 player is to strip a lot this code. First, you must delete the <img tag until you see /> (right before <embed tag begins). Then you need to delete the <a tag until </a>. Also, get rid of <br/> . Finally, we must make some mods to the final code that is to be embedded as the background player for Tumblr. You can see that there are two pairs of width and height tags. You must change the values of the height tags to 15 in both cases. Regarding the width tags, you can start by leaving them at 150, but that varies if you want to display the song title or not. Never delete the px word after each value.
- This is how it should like once the editing for the Tumblr autoplay background music player is done;
- Go to your Tumblr >> Customize Theme >> Edit HTML and insert it where you consider appropiate, whether it is the header, sidebar, or footer, the higher the better since you are giving the visitor a chance to stop the autoplay. You can also add the autoplay widget for tumblr in your description box.
Last but not least, read the following suggestions for inserting autoplay music on Tumblr;
- If you want to add the autoplay widget on an individual post you can do it using the html button located on the edition tools. However, it wouldnt make sense since you want it to work on every single page/post of your Tumblelog.
- All music widgets are quite similar in their structure no matter what site they are from, just give it a try changing the width, height, autoplay parameters to see how it finally shows up
How to Put Music On Tumblr
Besides Hypster, there are many other plugins that you can use to add music to your tumblr, streampad, SCM, tumblrplayer, beemp3, etc. In our opinion The best track player for tumblr is grooveshark (follow the link and learn how to install it). It has an endless stream of songs to choose from and is easily customizable.
We have individual tutorials that tell you how to embed music on tumblr, just follow the links below
More Resources To get music on Tumblr.
- Grooveshark Playlist Widget for Tumblr
- Music Widgets for Tumblr
- How to Download Tracks from Tumblr
- YouTube Music Player
- SCM Tumblr Music Player
If you can’t manage to make your autoplay background music show up in your layout, just leave a link indicating the theme you are using and where you want it and We’ll try to help you.